Old Houses and Buildings in Australia https://suggpix.com.au Photographs of Colonial and Federation Buildings, Landscapes and Nature Wed, 16 Oct 2019 09:51:15 +0000 en-AU hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=5.2.4 https://i2.wp.com/suggpix.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Twodogs_edited-6.jpg?fit=32%2C32&ssl=1 Old Houses and Buildings in Australia https://suggpix.com.au 32 32 68611851 The settlement of Kerry in Queensland https://suggpix.com.au/kerry-in-queensland/. https://suggpix.com.au/kerry-in-queensland/.#respond Wed, 16 Oct 2019 09:51:09 +0000 https://suggpix.com.au/?p=1265 Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

Kerry is a farming locality between Beaudesert and the Lamington National Park. Kerry Road was the track to the Lamington National Park and a primary school opened in 1884 (it closed in 1943), the Kerry [...]

The post The settlement of Kerry in Queensland appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

Kerry is a farming locality between Beaudesert and the Lamington National Park.

Kerry Road was the track to the Lamington National Park and a primary school opened in 1884 (it closed in 1943), the Kerry Bridge Hotel opened around 1905 (it ceased trading in 1974), and a post office in 1927 (it closed in 1939). The Lamington National Park was declared in 1915 and Bernard O’Reilly’s guest house opened in 1926.  Access to the guest house was by the Kerry Road.

The former Kerry Bridge Hotel, now a private residence.

This advertisement appeared in the Beaudesert Herald 23/09/1904 for the Hotel.

“Having now completed the erection and furnishing of the above Hostelry JT Dicks can offer the best accommodation to travellers and others. The Kerry Bridge Hotel will be found replete in every detail.

Mr Dicks will make an application for a license the next Licensing Court on 5th October” (JT (Tom) Dicks had the Kerry coach run at this time).

Licensees who later held the Kerry Bridge Hotel License were:

· Catherine Massie – 1905
· James Rafter – 1908
· Billy Berger – 1912
· Tom Power – 1913
· John Reilly Smith – 1924
· Richard Capron – 1944
· Percival Willmet – 1945

Other licensees after 1945 included Cliff White and Kevin Bowden. The last licensee was Lorrie Wilde (formerly Schipke).  She had the hotel from 1970 to 1974.

Kerry Farm House
Old Farm Cottage from the mid 19th Century.

Guests of O’Reilly’s Guest House usually came by coach and stayed at the Kerry Bridge Hotel overnight before riding horses up the Stockyard Creek track accompanied by members of the O’Reilly’s family, to the Guest House.

St John's Catholic Church
St John’s Catholic Church.

The Kerry village had the Bridge Hotel, the primary school (about forty farms by 1949) and the St John’s Catholic Church and cemetery (now heritage listed.  (Bernard O’Reilly, the bushman and author is buried there).  The primary school and post office buildings are no longer visible, the hotel is a private residence and the church is still standing.

There are no other signs of the village’s existence.

Share

The post The settlement of Kerry in Queensland appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
https://suggpix.com.au/kerry-in-queensland/./feed 0 1265
Kingaroy in Regional Queensland https://suggpix.com.au/kingaroy-queensland/. https://suggpix.com.au/kingaroy-queensland/.#respond Sat, 12 Oct 2019 04:12:44 +0000 https://suggpix.com.au/?p=1248 Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

Rural settlement commenced in 1843 with the arrival of squatter and explorer Henry Russell. The first sheep flocks arrived in the 1850's. [...]

The post Kingaroy in Regional Queensland appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

Kingaroy is in agricultural Regional Queensland, and is Australia’s 100th largest town. It is also the peanut capital of Australia with the Country’s biggest processing plant.

Rural settlement commenced in 1843 with the arrival of squatter and explorer Henry Russell. The first sheep flocks arrived in the 1850’s.  What was Taabinga Station eventually became Kingaroy and was well established by the time the Railway arrived 1904.

The town has experienced some growth in population in recent years which currently stands at approx 10,400 people. It is about 220 kms north-west of Brisbane. However a trip to the area should include a visit to the spectacular Bunya Mountains National Park, this means returning via Dalby on the Southern Downs.

You will find picture galleries of other old houses and landscapes here.

© New “Old Houses” Gallery here

© New “Landscapes and Seascapes” Gallery is available here.

Kingaroy Council Chambers 1913
The old Council Chambers built in 1913 with some of the peanut silos in the background.

From the Queensland Heritage Register

“The Kingaroy Peanut Silos located in Haly Street, Kingaroy are a group of three concrete silos (Nos 2, 3 and 4) that were constructed between 1938 and 1951 by the Queensland Peanut Marketing Board for storage of peanuts before their processing and marketing.

These large structures dominate the skyline of Kingaroy and the surrounding landscape. They are widely recognised symbols of the peanut growing and processing industry in Queensland that developed as a commercial enterprise in the South Burnett centred upon Kingaroy and which has been managed from this town since the 1920s.

Although initial pastoral settlement in the Kingaroy area commenced in the 1840s when Taabinga station and Burrandowan station were taken up, the town of Kingaroy owes its establishment to the arrival of the Kilkivan branch railway in 1904. In 1898 the only resident in the vicinity of Kingaroy was Daniel Carroll who had selected a 160 acre block abutting the 3430 acre (1388.07 ha) Kingaroy Paddock selection in 1891 and built a hut and yard for his horses. By 1900 he had erected a cottage and had selected further blocks of land adjoining his original portion. 

Peanuts have been grown in Queensland since Chinese cultivators planted them on the Palmer River goldfield in the 1870s. Small acreages were grown by several farmers in the South Burnett from about 1901”

Kingaroy - pioneers house.
This old house is opposite the 1913 Council Chambers, near the Railway Station… now closed.
Former Broadway Hotel - Kingaroy
The Broadway Hotel closed in 2015

Share

The post Kingaroy in Regional Queensland appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
https://suggpix.com.au/kingaroy-queensland/./feed 0 1248
The Stuart Highway is one of Australia’s major highways https://suggpix.com.au/the-stuart-highway-is-one-of-australias-major-highways/. https://suggpix.com.au/the-stuart-highway-is-one-of-australias-major-highways/.#respond Thu, 29 Aug 2019 09:17:52 +0000 https://suggpix.com.au/?p=1192 Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

The highway is named after Scottish explorer John McDouall Stuart, who was the first European to cross Australia from south to north. [...]

The post The Stuart Highway is one of Australia’s major highways appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au


The Stuart Highway is one of Australia’s major highways. It runs from Darwin in the north, via Tennant Creek and Alice Springs, to Port Augusta, South Australia, in the south – a distance of 2,834 km.  Its northern and southern extremities are segments of Australia’s Highway 1.  The principal north-south route through the central interior of mainland Australia, the highway is often referred to simply as “The Track”.

The highway is named after Scottish explorer John McDouall Stuart, who was the first European to cross Australia from south to north.  The highway approximates the route Stuart took.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service uses the highway as an emergency landing strip and sections of the highway are signed to that effect.  These sections of highway have been specially selected and prepared for the landing of aircraft which only takes place after the piece of road has been closed by the police.

There are petrol and other facilities (meals, toilets, etc.) available at reasonable intervals, usually around 200 km but some are a lot longer. Some rest stops are located at scenic points with information boards, but most are little more than a picnic table and a rubbish bin in an otherwise deserted area.

It is a great road trip, perhaps Australia’s Route 66. You will find more pictures here;

© New “Old Houses” Gallery here

© New “Landscapes and Seascapes” Gallery is available here.

US Army Vehicle?

Share

The post The Stuart Highway is one of Australia’s major highways appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
https://suggpix.com.au/the-stuart-highway-is-one-of-australias-major-highways/./feed 0 1192
McKinlay is in the remote north west of Queensland https://suggpix.com.au/mckinlay-is-in-the-remote-north-west-of-queensland/. https://suggpix.com.au/mckinlay-is-in-the-remote-north-west-of-queensland/.#respond Tue, 27 Aug 2019 01:26:57 +0000 https://suggpix.com.au/?p=1189 Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

McKinlay is in the remote north west of Queensland on the Landsborough Highway [...]

The post McKinlay is in the remote north west of Queensland appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

McKinlay is in the remote north west of Queensland on the Landsborough Highway, 1,595 kilometres north west of Brisbane and 228 kilometres south east of Mount Isa.

McKinlay is named for the nearby McKinlay River—itself named for the Scottish explorer John McKinlay who was the first European to discover the river in 1861.

Gold was discovered in the area in 1872 and a letter receiving office was opened in 1883. The town was surveyed and allotments sold in 1888.

Mackinlay Post Office opened on 1 April 1894 and was renamed McKinlay in 1909.

Like many of its counterparts along the track, this little town, established more than 100 years ago, was a staging post for Cobb & Co. coaches and a social gathering point for the graziers whose vast properties surround it.

The offices of the Shire of McKinlay were located in the town until 1930 when they were relocated to Julia Creek. In 2011 census, McKinlay had a population of approx 400 people.

McKinlay today is described as “nothing more than a roadhouse, a few houses and a pub.” The town is best known for the Walkabout Creek Hotel, featured in the movie Crocodile Dundee.

You will find more pictures here: 

© New “Old Houses” Gallery here

© New “Landscapes and Seascapes” Gallery is available here.

Share

The post McKinlay is in the remote north west of Queensland appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
https://suggpix.com.au/mckinlay-is-in-the-remote-north-west-of-queensland/./feed 0 1189
Kalbar, Qld Scenic Rim https://suggpix.com.au/kalbar-qld-scenic-rim/. https://suggpix.com.au/kalbar-qld-scenic-rim/.#respond Sat, 24 Aug 2019 03:14:51 +0000 https://suggpix.com.au/?p=1187 Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

The town was once known as Fassifern Scrub and then Engelsburg after the first settler of the town. [...]

The post Kalbar, Qld Scenic Rim appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

Settlement began at the location in 1876 and by 1890 a small town had developed. The town was once known as Fassifern Scrub and then Engelsburg after the first settler of the town. The town has a very rich German history, having been established “almost exclusively” by German settlers, reflected today in the many Anglo-German road and street names as well as the many local German settler descendant surnames. The name changed to Kalbar because of anti-German sentiment in 1916, though only first applied to the railway station. The Engelsberg School of Arts did not change to the Kalbar School of Arts until July, 1918. The Mount Edwards railway line reached the town in 1916.

Kalbar State School opened in 1879.

Engelsburg Post Office opened on 7 July 1897 (a receiving office had been open from 1878. known as Engels for five years) and was renamed Kalbar in 1916.

During the 1899 referendum to decide if Australia should become a federation, Kalbar registered the highest No vote of any town in Queensland. In 1920, the Kalbar School of Arts hall and half the businesses in town were destroyed by fire.

From 1961 to 1990, Kalbar held a large annual celebration, the Fassifern Potato Festival. The event included a street parade with motorised floats culminating at the show grounds and continuation of festivities. Some artifacts from the festival can be found at the Templin Historical Museum. Harvest Festivals organised by the local Salvation Army church extended back to the 1920s. The annual agricultural show is held in June.

At the 2016 census, Kalbar had a population of 1,093.

Share

The post Kalbar, Qld Scenic Rim appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
https://suggpix.com.au/kalbar-qld-scenic-rim/./feed 0 1187
Railway Settlements in Sth Australia https://suggpix.com.au/railway-settlements-in-sth-australia/. https://suggpix.com.au/railway-settlements-in-sth-australia/.#respond Wed, 14 Aug 2019 01:49:12 +0000 https://suggpix.com.au/?p=1160 Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

When you cross into South Australia there a number of Railway Settlements. Most now have populations of less than 20 people. [...]

The post Railway Settlements in Sth Australia appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

The Barrier Highway starts at Nyngan where it joins the Mitchell Highway. It heads west past Hermidale and Boppy Mountain to Cobar, a mining town. It then continues to Wilcannia where it crosses the Darling River. Further west it passes through Broken Hill and enters South Australia, turning southwest towards Adelaide.

The area traversed by the Barrier Highway is remote and very sparsely settled. The name of the highway is derived from the Barrier Ranges in Far Western NSW.

When you cross into South Australia there a number of Railway Settlements. Most now have populations of less than 20 people.

Olary is a settlement on the Barrier Highway in South Australia. It is situated near Olary Creek and is one of the easternmost settlements in South Australia. It was established in the late 1880s to service the highway and the railway which pass through it.

The Post Office opened on 12 October 1886, it was renamed Oolarie around 1888 and Olary around 1896.After the modernisation of transport which travelled between Adelaide and Broken Hill the village population declined.

Mannahill is a settlement on the Barrier Highway and Indian Pacific railway line.The population of Mannahill is 26 persons.

The village also supported early gold mining activity at Mannahill and at Wadnaminga to the south. Mannahill was surveyed in the mid-1880s as a water-supply and maintenance point on the Peterborough to Cockburn railway line which was completed in 1887. The railway station had been previously constructed in 1886.

The village still has the Mannahill Hotel which was built in 1889. Mannahill Police Station is situated in Railway Terrace, Mannahill.

The settlement of Cockburn sits on the border of South Australia and New South Wales near Broken Hill. Cockburn came into existence in 1886 (on the SA Side of the border) as a place where the Silverton Tramway’s trains would exchange locomotives and crews on their way from Silverton to Broken Hill. The route was extremely important as it provided balanced trading for locomotives with a momentum grade ‘up’ from Broken Hill to Cockburn and a rising grade ‘down’ from Cockburn to Broken Hill. This was the main advantage of the route to and from Cockburn.

On the NSW side of the border the Silverton Tramway Company built a station and siding called Burns. Cockburn had a population of 2,000 and boasted two hotels, two general stores, three boarding houses, schools and churches. It contained within its business sector a blacksmith, butcher, baker, produce merchant and carrier. As mining wound down around Silverton, Cockburn lost its importance and also entered into a fast decline. The standard gauge railway line, officially opened in 1970, runs south of the surveyed town limits of Cockburn, and has a new station and a passing loop. The “new” station is now disused. Today, Cockburn, with a population of around 25.

Share

The post Railway Settlements in Sth Australia appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
https://suggpix.com.au/railway-settlements-in-sth-australia/./feed 0 1160
Big Australia https://suggpix.com.au/big-australia/. https://suggpix.com.au/big-australia/.#respond Mon, 12 Aug 2019 02:02:02 +0000 https://suggpix.com.au/?p=1133 Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

A new gallery has been added.  It contains a selection of images with differing subject ranges. http://bigAustralia.suggpix.com.au

The post Big Australia appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

A new gallery has been added.  It contains a selection of images with differing subject ranges. http://bigAustralia.suggpix.com.au

Share

The post Big Australia appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
https://suggpix.com.au/big-australia/./feed 0 1133
Texas, Queensland https://suggpix.com.au/texas-queensland/. https://suggpix.com.au/texas-queensland/.#respond Sun, 27 Jan 2019 21:27:29 +0000 https://suggpix.com.au/?p=1079 Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

Texas, is on the Dumeresq River in Queensland approx.240 km from Brisbane. The population is around 900 people. The settlement was originally part of the Texas Cattle Station and by 1880 the surrounding area was [...]

The post Texas, Queensland appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

Texas, is on the Dumeresq River in Queensland approx.240 km from Brisbane. The population is around 900 people.

The settlement was originally part of the Texas Cattle Station and by 1880 the surrounding area was growing maize and tobacco. The river flats also saw a thriving dairy industry develop.

Like many small inland towns, it has struggled economically for many years. It had an interesting beginning and continued to have modest growth until the 1940’s and 50’s.

It is well worth a visit today particularly if you have an interest in the history of the area.

You can get historical background on of these sites.

https://www.queenslandplaces.com.au/texas
https://www.grc.qld.gov.au/texas

• Tobacco Farming continued in the area until the 1940s.
• A cheese factory opened in 1910, and closed in the mid 1950’s
• The Hospital opened in 1912.
• The railway station (now closed) opened in 1930.

Pugh’s Queensland directory (1925) recorded three hotels, five storekeepers, three blacksmiths and several other shops. The Town had a population of approx. 700.

The Town’s economy relied on Dairying, Tobacco and the Rabbit Processing Factory.

Follow on Facebook here

Stockman Hotel Texas
The Stockman Hotel, the only Pub still open.

Share

The post Texas, Queensland appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
https://suggpix.com.au/texas-queensland/./feed 0 1079
Port Adelaide Historic Precinct, home to the state’s most substantial and continuous group of colonial buildings https://suggpix.com.au/port-adelaide-sa-pictures/. https://suggpix.com.au/port-adelaide-sa-pictures/.#comments Wed, 12 Dec 2018 03:05:51 +0000 http://suggpix.com.au/?p=55 Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

Port Adelaide is the first area in South Australia to be declared an historic precinct. It is home to the state’s most substantial and continuous group of colonial buildings. There are some wonderful picture opportunities. [...]

The post Port Adelaide Historic Precinct, home to the state’s most substantial and continuous group of colonial buildings appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

Port Adelaide is the first area in South Australia to be declared an historic precinct. It is home to the state’s most substantial and continuous group of colonial buildings. There are some wonderful picture opportunities.

Take your camera and stroll around this nineteenth century port with its once-grand customs house, telegraph office, shipping offices, chandlery and the Maritime Museum’s bond stores and lighthouse.

“The effective foundation day of Port Adelaide was 6 January 1837. On this day the first harbourmaster, Captain Thomas Lipson (Royal Navy), took up residence with his family on the edge of Port Creek. The new port was used for shipping later that month, and passengers began disembarking the next. At this point the site was known as The Port Creek Settlement.

When founded, the port’s land was just higher than the surrounding tidal flats; at high tide the port could be rowed around.”  Parsons, Ronald (1997). Port Misery and the new port. Lobethal, South Australia: Ronald Parsons. ISBN 0-909418-53-5.

In some ways it could be described as Fremantle on steroids!  It’s well worth the visit.

Pt Adelaide - Historic Precinct

 

Pt Adelaide Heritage Precinct

 

 

SLSA: B 8249
Pt Adelaide Town Hall CC 1872

You will find a large collection of early South Australian photographs at the State Library of South Australia… here

Share

The post Port Adelaide Historic Precinct, home to the state’s most substantial and continuous group of colonial buildings appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
https://suggpix.com.au/port-adelaide-sa-pictures/./feed 3 55
Rylstone is a small town in New South Wales https://suggpix.com.au/rylstone-is-a-small-town-in-new-south-wales/. https://suggpix.com.au/rylstone-is-a-small-town-in-new-south-wales/.#respond Tue, 11 Dec 2018 01:06:08 +0000 https://suggpix.com.au/?p=1054 Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

Rylstone is a small town in New South Wales, Australia, in the Central Tablelands.  It is located on the Bylong Valley Way road route. At the 2016 census, Rylstone had a population of almost 650 people. The name ‘Rylstone’ has no [...]

The post Rylstone is a small town in New South Wales appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
Australian Photographs from www.SuggPix.com.au

Rylstone is a small town in New South Wales, Australia, in the Central Tablelands.  It is located on the Bylong Valley Way road route. At the 2016 census, Rylstone had a population of almost 650 people.

The name ‘Rylstone’ has no clear origin; however, several possible origins are promoted.

  • Michael Hayes who built the Shamrock Hotel and other buildings at The Junction (where the Cudgegong River and Tong Bong Creek meet) claims responsibility. On travelling through the area he mentioned sleeping on ‘that Ryle Stone’ his Irish accent converting what was actually said ‘Royal Stone’
  • A small village also known as Rylstonein Yorkshire England is near to where wool was sent from properties in the Rylstone area.
  • Another tale suggests the Scots had a weapon called a Ryle Stone. This weapon being used when the Scots were at war with the Picts (England) and Scottish shepherds built their huts at the location of the current village of Rylstone.

A petition was sent to Governor Gipps asking for a village to be called Tong Bong to be established at the present site of Rylstone. Governor Gipps granted permission for the village to be surveyed but he insisted that the village be called Rylstone and not Tong Bong. There is no evidence of any connection between Governor Gipps and the English village of Rylstone.

Rylstone, a small town in New South Wales: Exploration

Several early explorers and settler explorers travelled this area in the early 1800s; they include Samuel Marsden, Macquarie, Edward Cox, James Blackman Jr., Jamison, FitzGerald, John Nevell and James Vincent.  Several mountains in the area commemorate their journeys through the Glen Alice Valley and up the Turon River.  James Blackman jnr. explored a route from Bathurst to the Cudgegong River and present site of Rylstone in 1820.  Allan Cunningham, the botanist and explorer, on his first expedition to find a route from Bathurst to the Liverpool Plains noted in his diary in November 1822 being in the Tabrabucka area and on the second expedition 18 April 1823 passing through Dabee (now Rylstone).

The district was originally known as Dabee (under various spellings). There are many contemporary newspaper references to the town being referred to as Ryalston in the period 1846 to mid-1850s[6] then referred to as Ryalstone during the late 1850s.   Rylstone town was laid out in 1846 by surveyor Davidson. By the 1850s Rylstone was becoming a well established town with post office, hotels, school, mills, and police lock-up. The Rylstone district was declared as a police district in 1854.   Rylstone was formally proclaimed a town on 20 March 1885.

On 9 June 1884 the railway was opened to Rylstone,  this changed the status of Rylstone village to that of a town. The railway yard included a goods shed, trucking yards, and turntable.   Notably, Henry Lawson’s father, Niels Hertzberg Larsen, helped build the timber railway station. The line was extended from Rylstone to Mudgee and this section was opened on 10 September 1884. Rylstone is located on the Wallerawang to Gwabegar branch line.

In April 1895 a railway telephone line was installed between Wallerawang and Mudgee with Rylstone as an intermediate telephone point. The telephone was an important safety feature on this railway due to the steep cliffs and tunnels that occur on both sides of Rylstone allowing quick and clear communication of problems.

The railway line through Rylstone was closed on 2 March 1992 and remain closed for 8 years, the NSW Government spent $11 million to resleeper the track, repair bridges, and level crossings reopening the line on 2 September 2000, the line was again closed 7 years later on 30 June 2007, the line remains closed; however, there are plans to reopen the line for coal trains to operate between Cobbora Mine (near Dunedoo) and the Mount Piper Power Station and Wallerawang Power Station.

The main commercial street, Louee Street, was originally an upper level and lower level street. In the 1930s the street was levelled and this created the high steps to the buildings on the high side of the road.

Other events in Rylstone history…

  • 1849 – Post Office opened on 1 January 1849.
  • 1853 – Wesleyan Chapel opened on Sunday 15 May 1853
  • 1857 – laying of foundation stone for new church, St James Rylstone on 19 May 1857
  • 1857 – The School opened in July 1857.
  • 1875 – Rylstone and district population was approximately 300 persons
  • 1880 – Telegraph Office was built and the Post Office relocated to this building
  • 1894 – Gold discovered in Rylstone area, gold showing freely through reef, a gold rush results, 21 August 1894
  • 1897 – A 70 oz gold nugget was found between Stony Pinch and Appletree Flat
  • 1899 – Rylstone and other nearby towns promote themselves as a suitable site for the new Federal Capital
  • 1903 – Coal was discovered for the first time by New Zealand mining company at Coomber (5 miles south of Rylstone)
  • 1906 – A telephone line was opened between Rylstone and Mudgee, 1 February 1906
  • 1907 – Iron and Steel manufacturing works proposed for Rylstone
  • 1914 – A 50 line telephone switchboard was opened at Rylstone on 28 October
  • 1915 – in April 1915 a new telephone line was constructed between Rylstone and Bylong
  • 1915 – Tenders accepted for construction of a new hospital at Rylstone, ₤1723, 27 April 1915
  • 1924 – A new direct telephone trunk line was built from Lithgow to Rylstone and on to Mudgee, prior to this date all calls to Sydney were connected via Switchboards at Rylstone, Mudgee, Bathurst then Sydney
  • 1925 – The Rylstone school is destroyed by fire during school hours, no one is hurt, 6 August 1925
  • 1925 – The Standard Portland Cement Company’s Kandos Cement Works are under construction
  • 1926 – An electrification scheme commenced for the towns of Rylstone and Kandos, power being supplied by the Kandos Cement Works, connection switched on in November 1926.
  • 1926 – record rainfall of 1250 points (317mm) falling in a week (rain commencing 25 March 1926), washing out the Tong Bong crossing
  • 1931 – Rich Shale Oil discovery at Rylstone
  • 1935 – Hospital additions, new wing and nurses quarters were opened by Minister for Health on 3 August 1935, costing £1700
  • 1938 – Discussions with NSW Government commenced on provided a water supply scheme for Rylstone.
  • 1954 – A water supply dam was completed and pipes were installed to connect the town to running water
  • 1960s – A sewage system was built and connected to houses and businesses in Rylstone
  • 1981 – Saturday 30 May, the last Mudgee Mailtrain service ran through Rylstone around 4am, heading north to Gwabegar
  • 1983 – The manual telephone switchboardclosed in June, it was located in the Post and Telegraph Office
  • 1992 – 2 March, the railway line from Kandos through Rylstone to Gulgong closed to rail traffic
  • 2000 – 2 September, The railway line from Kandos through Rylstone to Mudgee and Gulgong was reopened to train traffic
  • 2007 – 30 June, The railway line from Kandos to Gulgong was classified as ‘service suspended’ effectively closing the line to trains

The article was sourced from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rylstone,_New_South_Wales   You will find the full list of references by following the link.

Rylstone is a small town in New South Wales

 

 

Share

The post Rylstone is a small town in New South Wales appeared first on Old Houses and Buildings in Australia.

]]>
https://suggpix.com.au/rylstone-is-a-small-town-in-new-south-wales/./feed 0 1054